Dr. Fauzi has been the Vitreo-retina surgeon in the Vitreo-retina Services department of Ophthalmology of the University of Malaya Medical centre since 1999 and was also the Senior Lecturer in the Department of Ophthalmology of the University of Malaya since 2005 and was the Head of Department until 2006.
Since completing the Vitreo-retina fellowship with Dr. Andrew Chang in Sydney, Australia in 2004. Dr. Fauzi has accomplished numerous tasks including, performing Optic nerve radial neurotomy for Centrel Retina Vein occlusions in UMMC, more than 500 cases of complex Pars Plana Vitrectomies (involving complicated rhegmatogenous retina detachments and diabetic related vitrectomies), various macular surgeries, External sclera buckling procedures and Pneumatic Retinopexy. He is also trained in the treatment of Choroidal Neovascular Membrances with intravitreal anti VEGF’s and Visudyne.
Throughout the years Dr. Fauzi had contributed to many publications with many articles published in prestigious medical journals of ophthalmology. He has also been guest speaker in numerous scientific symposiums across Asia and has also been external examiner and trainer in the training and education of the Master of Ophthalmology program.
1. Housemanship: University Hospital Kuala Lumpur, 1991-1992.
2. Ophthalmology Medical Officer: Sg. Petani Hospital, Kedah, 1993-1995
3. Trainee Lecturer: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaysia 1995-1999.
4. Ophthalmologist and Lecturer: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, 1999 – 2007
5. Vitreo-retinal Services Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, 2000 – 2007
6. Senior Lecturer: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, 2005 - 2007
7. Ophthalmologist and Vitreo-retinal Surgeon KPJ Klang Specialist Hospital 2012 till now
He has extensive experience in ophthalmic surgery in particular Cataract operations and the use of premium Multifocal, Toric and Phakic Intra Ocular Lenses. He is also well verse in cases of Glaucoma and Strabismus. His area of subspeciality is the disease of the Vitreous and Retina. He has performed numerous surgeries for Retinal Detachment, Diabetic Eye Diseases, Vitreous Haemorraghe and Trauma related eye cases. The majority of the surgeries are performed using the Sutureless 23/25G Vitrectomies.
Chapter or Part of Academic Books/Text Books/Encyclopedias
• Ahmad Fauzi Md Sharif, Visvaraja Subrayan, "Acute Eye Injuries" Chan Yoo Kuen and Ng Kwee Peng (ed) Management Aspects of Acute Care, University of Malaya Press, Kuala Lumpur, 2006, pg 335-340.
i. A. Md Sharif S Ulagentheran "Traumatic Hyphaema The University Malaya Medical Centre Experience. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. Vol 30, Supplement, April 2002. P429.
ii. A. Md Sharif G Shamala "Sterility of the Timo-COMOD Preservative free Multidose Dispenser Delivery System. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. Vol 30, Supplement, April 2002. P512..
iii. Ahmad Fauzi Bin Md Sharif . Is the Macular Normal? Med J Malaysia Vol 57 Supplement D, October 2002; pg 77
iv. Ahmad Fauzi MS Normah K "Effects of Pupillary Dilatation on Visual Acuity, Colour Vision and Accomodation. Published in Abstract book of the 21st Malaysia-Singapore Ophthalmic Congress, 20-22 June 2003, Langkawi Malaysia.", 2003,
v. Sendhil Kumar SMS, Hind A, Loo A, A Fauzi. Lupus Retinopathy – Report of 3 cases. Published in Abstract book of the 21st Malaysia-Singapore Ophthalmic Congress, 20-22 June 2003, Langkawi Malaysia
vi. Rohana, SC Reddy, A Fauzi. Peripheral Corneal Thinning and Scleromalacia Perforans in Wegener’s Granulomatosis – A Case Report. Published in Abstract book of the 21st Malaysia-Singapore Ophthalmic Congress, 20-22 June 2003, Langkawi Malaysia.
vii. YC Siow, Mimiwati Z, A Fauzi, SC Reddy. Comparison of the Lacrimal Function Tests in Evaluation of Patency of the Lacrimal Drainage System. Published in Abstract book of the 21st Malaysia-Singapore Ophthalmic Congress, 20-22 June 2003, Langkawi Malaysia
viii. Nurliza K, Sathya, Mustafa A, Jais F, Ahmad Fauzi MS. Penetration of Gutt Norfloxacin 0.3% & Gutt Ciprofloxacin into the Aqueous Humor via different Topical Application. Published in Abstract book of the 21st Malaysia-Singapore Ophthalmic Congress, 20-22 June 2003,Langkawi Malaysia
ix. Lee MT Ahmad Fauzi MS Mimiwati Z Lee MS "The Impact of HAART on the Malaysian HIV Sero-positive patients CD4 count and fundus manifestations. Am J Ophthalmology Volume 139, Issue 3, Supplement 1, March 2005. RE044
x. SC Reddy I Tajunisah Ahmad Fauzi MS "Chemical injuries of eye“ A retrospective study of 62 cases from UMMC. Published in Abstract book of the 20th Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress Kuala Lumpur, April 2005.
xi. Ahmad Fauzi Md Sharif, Ng Ching Hui, Ainur Rahman Anuar Dasuki, Mariam Jamaludin “ Patienst understanding and knowledge about cataract and cataract surgery” . Published in Abstract book of the World Ophthalmology Congress Sao Paolo, Brazil February 2006.
xii. Ahmad Fauzi Md Sharif, Mohd Hassan. “To describe a better positioning method for patients with Submacular Haemorrhage”. Published in Abstract book of the World Ophthalmology Congress Sao Paolo, Brazil February 2006.
xiii. Azida Juana, Ahmad Fauzi, “Aetiology, Clinical Features and Outcomes of Corneal Ulcers”. Asian J Ophthalmology Volume 8, Number 3, Supplement 1, June 2006. P2330.
xiv. Ahmad Fauzi Bin Md Sharif ,Shamala S Ganesan, Mimiwati Zahari, Mariam Jamaludin, "Use of Preservative free multidose dispenser ( COMOD system) for Glaucoma medications. Philipine J Ophthalmology Vol 30 No 3 July-September", 2006, Vol. 30, no. 3, pg. 140-141
xv. Tajunisah Begum, SC Reddy, Ahmad Fauzi Bin Md Sharif, "Conjunctival Malignant Melanoma Arising from Caruncle Naevus", Asian J Ophthalmology. 2006(8); 156-158.
xvi.Tengku Kamalden TA, Choo MM, Ahmad Fauzi Bin Md Sharif "Grade IV Hypertensive Retinopathy As A Rare First Presentation Of Hypertension : A Case Report ", JUMMEC 2006: 9(2), 32-34.
1. Post Cataract Extraction Ptosis: !7th Malaysia –Singapore Meeting in Malacca, 1999
2. Dry Eyes; The UMMC experience: 18th Malaysia-Singapore Meeting in Singapore, 2000 3. Invited speaker for the 4th MOH-AMM Scientific Meeting 2002: Is the Macular Normal.
4. Speaker for the NIOSH CMIA course in 2006, Langkawi.
5. Speaker and Trainer for Vascular Retinopathies Symphosium in HUSM Kubang Kerian 2005
Awards and Citations:
1. Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang, Universiti Malaya tahun 2003
2. Sijil Penghargaan dan Terima Kasih, Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya bagi perkhidmatan cemerlang kepada pesakit, Disember 2004.
1. Alcon PanOptix Trifocal IOL Lauching in Hotel Majestic Kuala Lumpur, 28th October 2016.
KPJ Klang Specialist Hospital (KLGSH) is the KPJ group's 21st hospital. A multi-specialty 'one stop' tertiary care hospital of international standard,