Dr Mazita Ami is formerly a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Otorhinolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS), Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) before being appointed as resident Consultant at the KPJ Klang Specialist Hospital in January 2012. Dr Mazita is also currently appointed by KPJ Healthcare University and holds the position of Associate Professor (Clinical) of Otorhinolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery.
She had also served as a Consultant ENT- Head & Neck Surgeon at Columbia Asia Hospital- Bukti Rimau in 2011.
She is an accredited Specialist in ENT-Head & Neck Surgery by the National Specialist Register. She is also duly registered with the Malaysian Medical Council and the Academy of Medicine Malaysia.
Dr Mazita has authored or co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed scientific articles in medical journals including book chapters on nasopharyngeal carcinoma and obstructive sleep apnea. She has been invited as a speaker in numerous workshops and conferences and has presented papers in many international and national meetings. She has also organized various workshops, seminars and conferences locally and abroad. Furthermore, she is an Editorial Board Member for the Journal of Surgical Academia and is also a editorial reviewer for local and international journals. She partakes regularly at public health awareness or education programs by giving lectures or ENT screening.
She is still actively involved in teaching future ENT Specialists and the pioneer batch of KPJ Masters of ORLHNS will be taking their professional exams at the end of 2016.
Dr Mazita also has a personal clinic blog at earnosethroatdoc.blogspot.com. Check out her blog for ENT disease information and patient leaflets. She logs in regularly to answer the queries online though patients are advised to get proper consultation with the doctor to avoid misdiagnosis.
Dr Mazita Ami obtained her basic medical degree (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics) from the Queen’s University of Belfast in United Kingdom in July 1999. She returned home to Malaysia upon graduation and worked in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre. She later joined the Department of ORL-HNS, UKM as trainee lecturer and completed the four-year residency training in Masters of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery). She graduated with flying colours and received the Marhakim Award for best candidate in the conjoint Final Masters ORL-HNS between UKM, Universiti Malaya and Universiti Sains Malaysia. She was also conferred the Schering Plough Young Investigator’s Award for her thesis on patients with tinnitus.
Upon completing her Masters training, she completed her gazettement at the UKM Medical Centre and served as a lecturer at the Department of ORL-HNS, UKM since May 2007. During her service with UKM, she was involved in various academic and administrative committees as well as research work and training of undergraduate and postgraduate students. She was in the UKM Cochlear Implant Team, Newborn Hearing Screening Committee and Bone Anchored Hearing Aid Committee, to name a few. She also conducted the Vertigo and Tinnitus Clinic in UKMMC. She had taken special interest in cochlear implant surgery, ear canal reconstruction and bone anchored hearing aid surgery. She was also actively involved in research work including tissue engineering and visited the Centre for Stem Cell Biology in the University of Sheffield, UK.
She keeps herself abreast with the latest medical knowledge on patient management and updated surgical techniques by attending various workshops and conferences internationally. She has had the privilege of visiting medical institutions in Maastricht Netherlands and Brisbane Australia. She is indebted to all her colleagues and consultants who have contributed towards enriching her work experience and who has generously imparted valuable knowledge throughout her career. And she is most grateful to her patients whom she has learnt most from.
Dr Mazita’s practice provides a full comprehensive diagnosis and management of ear, nose, throat, head & neck disorders including:
• Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy
• Endoscopic sinus surgery
• Turbinate and Septal Surgery
• Diagnosis and Treatment of Hearing Loss, Tinnitus
• Balance disorders (Vertigo)
• Ear surgery including mastoid surgery
• Diagnosis and Treatment of ENT Disorders in Children
• Snoring and Sleep disorder (OSA)
• Facial nerve disorders
• Throat diseases and Voice disorders
• Head & Neck Tumours
Dr Mazita has more than 30 peer-reviewed medical articles and also co-authored book chapters. Amongst her publications:
1. BS Gendeh, A Mazita, BM Selladurai, T Jegan, J Jeevanan, K Misiran, 2005, Endonasal endoscopic repair of anterior skull base fistulas: the Kuala Lumpur experience, The Journal of Laryngolgy & Otology, Nov 2005, 119: 866-874
2. A Mazita, MYS Hazim, MAR Megat Shiraz, SHA Primuharsa Putra, 2006, Neck abscess: Five year retrospective review of Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia experience, Medical Journal of Malaysia, 61 (2): 151-156
3. A Mazita, B S Gendeh, A I Zainal, 2007, Sinonasal hybrid tumour involving the anterior skull base, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 122(8):861-3
4. Ami M, Abdullah A, Awang MA, Liyab B, Saim L, 2008, Relation of distortion product otoacoustic emission with tinnitus, Laryngoscope 118:712-717
5. SHA Primuharsa Putra, Z Mahfudz, A Mazita, R Ramli, 2008, Parotid Surgery in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre: A 5-year Review , Malaysian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery , 6: 15-19
6. Mazita A, Wan Fazlina WH, Abdullah A, Goh BS, Saim L. Hearing rehabilitation in congenital canal atresia. Singapore Med J 2009;50(11) :1072-76
7. Azlan Iskandar Ishak, Mohd Razif Mohd Yunus, Mazita Ami, Primuharsa Putra. Role of panendoscopy and biopsy in cervical lymph node metastasis with unknown primary: A tertiary centre experience. Rawal Med J 2010;35:209-13
8. Mazita A, Zahirrudin Z, Goh BS, Asma A, Saim L. Mastoid abscess in acute and chronic otitis media. Malaysian J of Med Sci 2010;17(4):44-50
9. Mazita Ami, Salina Husain, Primuharsa Putra Sabir H Athar. Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. In: Nose and Viral Cancer: Etiology, Pathogenesis and Treatment. Editors Aloisio Medeiros and Carlitos Veloso. Nova Science Publishers, Illinois, USA, 2009 4th Quarter. ISBN 978-1-60741-735-4.
10. M. Fadhli Mohd Yusoff, Marina Mat Baki, Norlen Mohamed, A. Sani Mohamed, M. Razif Mohamad Yunus, Mazita Ami, Ilhamah Othman, Azlan I. Ishak. Obstructive Sleep Apnea Among Express Bus Drivers in Malaysia: Important Indicators for Screening
Member of several professional organizations including the following:
1. Malaysian Medical Association
2. Malaysian Society of Otorhinolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgeons
3. Academy of Medicine Malaysia.
4. National Specialist Register.
KPJ Klang Specialist Hospital (KLGSH) is the KPJ group's 21st hospital. A multi-specialty 'one stop' tertiary care hospital of international standard,