Malay, English, Chinese
Name : Liyana Abdullah Nabawi
RESIDENT EAR NOSE & THROAT, HEAD AND NECK SURGEON
How it all began…
Dr Vincent was awarded a scholarship to pursue his undergraduate medical studies locally in The National University of Malaysia (Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, UKM). He later returned to his alma mater to undergo specialist training in Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery and performed well in his final exams to graduate with the Master of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery).
In the course of his postgraduate studies, he has obtained the following qualifications:
• Postgraduate Diploma of Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, The Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) of Edinburgh, UK (DOHNS RCSEd)
• Membership of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK (MRCSEd)
• Postgraduate Certificate in Allergy, University of Southampton, UK
• Masters of Surgery in Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery [MS ORL-HNS (UKM)]
• Fellowship in Rhinology (Singapore)
• Fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology (Amsterdam)
In the course of his previous training and employment, he has also served in the following institutions:
• UKM Medical Centre
• Klang General Hospital
• Kuching General Hospital
• Hospital Kuala Lumpur
• Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
• Southampton General Hospital,UK
• Netherlands Cancer Institute,Amsterdam,The Netherlands
His credentials and experience…
Following his graduation as a ENT, Head and Neck surgeon, he was awarded Specialist Accreditation in Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ORLHNS) by the Ministry of Health Malaysia and Specialist Registration in ORLHNS. He was also accredited by the National Specialist Register committee. He had a busy practice in Kuching General Hospital, Sarawak where he served for 2 years. Here he was actively involved in managing nasal and sinus diseases, thyroid, salivary gland disorders, nasopharyngeal and advanced head and neck cancers.
He was later awarded subspecialty training, Fellowship in Rhinology (a subspecialty related to nasal medicine and surgery) by the Singapore General Hospital (SGH). Under the mentorship of renowned endoscopic sinus surgeon Associate Professor Dr. D.S.Sethi, he honed his skills in advanced endoscopic sinus surgery (including image-guided surgery, endoscopic nasal and sinus tumour excision, pituitary surgery, endoscopic anterior skull base and pituitary surgery, endoscopic revision sinus surgery), ENT allergy and immunotherapy. While in Singapore, he had also spent time with sleep surgery experts to develop his surgical skill and gained experience in the management of snoring disorders and sleep apnea.
Further details on his credentials here... www.vincentENTHNS.com
Born and bred as a true Malaysian boy, he is able to converse in English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese dialects. He also enjoys interaction with children.
Dr Vincent provides outpatient and inpatient care for general and subspecialised/complex ENT and neck conditions for children and adults alike. With a complete moder in-clinic setup (ENT workstation, microscope, ultrasound, rigid and flexible endoscope camera systems including a live viewing screen for the patients), he would be pleased to manage the following conditions, eg:
• Nasal conditions like polyps, acute or chronic sinusitis
• Allergic rhinitis with allergy test (Skin Prick Test, Blood test) interpretation, sublingual immunotherapy
• Flexible nasopharyngolaryngopic (FNPLS) endoscopic assessment of upper aerodigestive airway including Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) technology available for a more sensitive detection for lesions suspicious of cancer
• Cancers of the oral cavity, nasopharynx (NPC), sinuses, throat, larynx, thyroid – diagnosis, treatment, follow-up surveillance
• Tonsillitis, sore throat complaints
• Head and neck lumps, tumours and cancer eg. thyroid, lymph nodes, salivary gland (parotid, submandibular) swellings
• In-clinic Ultrasound-guided FNAC
More details on services here... www.vincentENTHNS.com
Research and Publications:
Due to his keen academic interest, he has kept himself updated with the ever-changing medical knowledge through actively publishing in local and international peer-reviewed journals. He was recently given the privilege to publish and also review articles in one of the leading U.S ENT journal. He currently sits in the peer review panel of 3 international ENT journals and a local medical journal.
His Associate Professorship in ENT, Head and Neck Surgery with Universiti Putra Malaysia allowed him to be involved in the teaching of medical undergraduates and mentoring of junior doctors. In the course of his previous employment, he has also served as an adjunct clinical teacher/lecturer with the University of Malaysia Sarawak where he contributed to postgraduate student training, various researches, and presented his works at international meetings.
He has also been called upon as part of the teaching faculty in the Endoscopic Sinus Surgery course in Singapore and has given talks to the GP and junior doctors. As a firm believer in continuous medical education, he also travels to international conferences to learn from world renowned ENT surgeons in their fields of expertise.
He is currently also an active member of the following academic societies:
• British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI)
• European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI)
• The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
• Malaysian Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgeons (MSOHNS)
• Academy of Medicine of Malaysia
• Malaysian Oncological Society (MOS)
• Malaysian Society of Allergy and Immunology (MSAI)
Due to his exposure locally and abroad, a good networking of friends, colleagues and experts in the ENT fraternity has been established. He remains indebted to his teachers, colleagues and patients who had taught him much.
He is also the Clinical Director for Special Olympics Healthy Hearing Athletes Program, a charity organisation under the auspices of International Olympic Committee (IOC), with the purpose of providing healthy hearing opportunities to the special group of children. He is working towards awareness of this charitable movement in Malaysia.
More details here... www.vincentENTHNS.com